Eastern Province - Destinations

  • Pigeon Island National Park, Nilaveli

    The Pigeon Island, fringed by a coral reef, off Nilaveli beach was designated as a National Park by the WLCD under the Fauna and Flora Protection Ordinance in 2003. It is unique in the sense that it is the only national park in the country to harbour a colony of the beautiful Blue Rock pigeons and contains some of the best remaining coral reefs in the country. Over 100 species of corals and more than 300 species of reef fish have been indentified from the Trincomalee area, and many of these species are found within the Pigeon Islands National Park,
  • Pottuvil ‍

    Pottuvil ‍or Pothuvil or Poththuvil (Sinhala:පොතුවිල්)(Tamil: பொத்துவில்) is a town in the Ampara District of Sri Lanka, located along the Eastern coast of the Island, it is 4 km due North of the popular tourist destination Arugam Bay.
  • Fort Fredrick, Trincomalee

    Built by Portuguese in 1624 from the debris of an ancient Hindu temple (Koneswaram) it was later captured by a Dutch fleet under Admiral Westerwold in 1639. Not until 1665 was a new fort built here by the Dutch to defend against the advancements of the British and French. In 1672, the year when the Dutch Republic was attacked by France, Britain, and two German states, the French captured Trincomalee and later they occupied Batticaloa. In 1795 it was taken over by the British, and remained a British garrison till 1948. Coastal artillery guns were added during the two world
  • Trincomalee

    The sea outside the Trincomalee harbour has been identified as having great potential for viewing whales and dolphins. Twenty six of the worlds eighty three species of whale, dolphin and porpoise have been recorded in Sri Lanka waters. Some of the species spotted are blue whales, sperm whales, humpback, brydes whales, spinner dolphins and bottlenose dolphins.
  • Thirukoneswaram temple

    Thirukoneswaram was one of the ancient temples in Sri Lanka. In the 16th century, it had one thousand pillars and esteemed to be one of the richest temples in the South East Asia. It had in its possession large amounts of gold, pearls, precious stones, and silk, which have been endowed over one thousand years. The Temple was demolished by the Portuguese Commander of Army Constantine de Sa de Menzes in 1624 and used the rubbles to build a well fortified Fort to prevent the Port of Trincomalee falling to the rivals. The other destroyed ancient temples are Berndi Kovil,
  • Velgam Rajamaha Viharaya, Kanniya

    This Temple complex which counts more than two thousand years of history is situated about five kilometres from the Trincomale Anuradhapura road (A12) and is of religious and archaeological importance. There are old dagabas, temples, statues made out of stones, letters inscribed on stones and beautiful ponds spreading over an extent of 32 hectares (80 acres) of land. In the eleventh century, during the reign of King Solee, Sinhalese people were compelled to move to the Southern part of the country. The people have lived in a dark era and Buddhist cultural environment had deteriorated.
  • Kanniya Hot Water Spring

    Located at Gomerankadawela, about13km from the Puttalam-Trincomalee Road. It is considered as one of the traditional villages in the district. According to the details provided in some information boards at the site, Kanniya Hot water spring has the history from the King Rawana era. It says that King Ravana stuck the earth with his sward in several spots and several fountains were started on those places. The water was hot and thats the beginning of this hot water springs.
  • Passikudah Bay

    Passikudah Bay contains a shallow fringing coral reef towards the outer bay with scattered coral communities within the bay, and is connected to similar reef systems further south towards Kalkudah. It is one of the best-known reef systems in the east and has been proposed as a Marine Sanctuary by NARA . Passikudah is very popular among visitors due to the calm clear waters which are ideal for swimming. This is located about 28km north of Batticaloa town, in the Batticaloa District, of the Eastern Province .
  • Batticaloa Fort

    Originally a Portuguese settlement, the Fort of Batticaloa was first constructed in 1628 as a trading and administrative center. Set upon a small island, the fort protrudes into a swampy lagoon, surveying the brackish waters protected by the citys outer banks. The Dutch had arrived in 1602, drawn to the prospects of trade and the abundance of pepper and cinnamon grown by the local community. However, it was not until King Rajasinghe in Kandy urged Dutch intervention that the European colonial power took action, capturing the fort in 1638 and establishing sovereignty in the region.
  • Magul Maha Vihara

    Magul Maha Vihara is located on the Pottuvil to Monaragala Road and close to Lahugala National Park. The history of this site goes back to the 2nd century BC. Legends related to this site refer to the marriage of King Kawantissa and Vihara Mahadevi. The site has a well preserved Bodhi Ghara (Bodhi Tree Enclosure) Buddha statues and Stupa.
  • Kumana National Park

    Kumana National Park in Sri Lanka is renowned for its avifauna, particularly its large flocks of migratory waterfowl and wading birds. The park is 391 kilometres southeast of Colombo on Sri Lanka's southeastern coast
  • Batticaloa

    Located within the urban area of Batticaloa and adjacent to the lagoon, the site consists of mixed wetland habitats and extends to an area of 75 ha. The site has a well-known reputation for its bird population and includes a number of rare species such as Lesser Adjutant Stork Leptoptilus javanicus and Spot Billed Pelican Pelecanus philippensis. The lagoon also contains a small population of Broad Snouted Crocodile or 'Mugger' (Crocodylus palustris) a species also in decline and classed as vulnerable by the World Conservation Department (IUCN).
  • Lahugala Kitulana National Park

    Lahugala Kitulana National Park is one of the smallest national parks in Sri Lanka. Despite its land area, the park is an important habitat for Sri Lankan Elephant and endemic birds of Sri Lanka. The national park contains the reservoirs of Lahugala, Kitulana and Sengamuwa and they are ultimately empties to Heda Oya River. Originally it was designated as a wildlife sanctuary on July 1 of 1966. Then the protected area was upgraded to a national park on October 31 of 1980. Lahugala Kitulana is situated 318 km east of Colombo. This national park is used by elephants traditionally as
  • 1