Western Province - Destinations

  • Gangaramaya Buddhist Temple

    This bustling temple complex has a library, a museum and an extraordinarily eclectic array of bejewelled and gilded gifts presented by devotees and well-wishers. Gangaramaya is the focus of the Navam Perahera on the February poya (full-moon) day each year.
  • Galle Face Green

    The Galle Face is a five hectare ocean-side urban park, which stretches for a half kilometre along the coast, in the heart of the financial and business district of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The promenade was initially laid out in 1859 by Governor Sir Henry George Ward, although the original Galle Face Green extended over a much larger area than is seen today. The Galle Face Green was initially used for horse racing and as a golf course, but was also used for cricket, polo, football, tennis and rugby.
  • Independence Square

    Independence Square is one of Colombo’s many landmarks to be discovered. Independence memorial Hall located at the Independence square is a Sri lankan Heritage site named by Sri Lanka Tourism. Many travelers visit the place and walk in the the Hall and the surrounding lawn area. This hall was build to commemorate and the victory gained from the British rule in 1948.
  • Royal Colombo Golf Club

    The Royal Colombo Golf Club is the oldest Golf Club in Sri Lanka. Established in 1880, it is located in the capital city of Colombo at the The Ridgeway Links also known as the Anderson Golf Course. It is home to the Sri Lanka Golf Union, the governing body of Golf in Sri Lanka and maintains links with the Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St. Andrews in Scotland.
  • National Museum

    National Museum of Colombo, also known as the Sri Lanka National Museum is one of two museums in Colombo. It is the largest museum in Sri Lanka. It is maintained by the Department of National Museum of the central government. The museum holds contains a collections of much importance to Sri Lanka such as the regalia of the country, including the throne and crown of the Kandyan monarchs as well as many other exhibits telling the story of ancient Sri Lanka
  • Viharamahadevi Park

    The Viharamahadevi Park (formerly Victoria Park) is a public park located in Colombo, next to the National Museum in Sri Lanka. It is the oldest and largest park of the Port of Colombo. Situated in front of the colonial-era Town Hall building, the park is named after Queen Viharamahadevi, the mother of King Dutugamunu. The park was built on land donated to the Colombo city by Charles Henry de Soysa during the British rule of Sri Lanka, and was originally named "Victoria Park" after Queen Victoria. During world war 2 it was occupied by the British Army with Australian 17th
  • Independence Arcade

    Arcade – Independence Square is by far one of the most important refurbishment and development projects undertaken by the Ministry of Defence and the Urban Development Authority. Once the project was identified, converting the old Auditor General’s Building into one of the grandest and trendiest shopping and entertainment arcades in the Asian region became the focal point of the team. Ideal for shopping and dining, if you are residing in Colombo. Ideal to be there at Evenings.
  • Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara

    The Kelaniya Raja Maha Vihara or Kelaniya Temple is a Buddhist temple in Kelaniya, Sri Lanka, seven miles from Colombo. The Chief Incumbent (Chief Priest) is Venerable Professor Kollupitiye Mahinda Sangharakkhitha Thera. Buddhists believe the temple to have been hallowed during the third and final visit of the Buddha to Sri Lanka, eight years after gaining enlightenment. Its history would thus go back to before 500 BCE. The Mahawansa records that the original Stupa at Kelaniya enshrined a gem-studded throne on which the Buddha sat and preached.
  • Colombo Dutch Museum

    The Colombo Dutch Museum is a museum that covers the history of the Dutch colonial rule in Sri Lanka.The old Dutch House on Prince Street, Pettah (Colombo 11) which houses this museum was built in the latter part of the 17th century and was initially the residence of Count August Carl Van Ranzow along with five other houses of the elite. Today, the sides of the street are choc-a-block with boutiques and stores of Moor traders. The restoration of this building commenced in 1977 and was completed in 1981. This museum was opened to the public in 1982. This building
  • Dutch Hospital - Shopping Malls

    The Old Colombo Dutch Hospital (known as The Dutch Hospital ) is considered to be the oldest building in the Colombo Fort area dating back to the Dutch colonial era in Sri Lanka. It is now a heritage building and a shopping and dining precinct.
  • 1